Skip to main content

Should Christians Use Their Imagination?


2 CORINTHIANS 4:18 NKJ  while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Many Christians are afraid of using their imagination, equating it with evil. But God surely had a reason to make mankind with an imagination. Once, as I was thinking about this, the question came to me, "Why did God create man with an imagination?" I do believe He is the Creator, don't you? And God did make man with an imagination.

 When I asked God if there was any scriptural support for using our imagination, it occurred to me to look in Hebrews 11. As I began reading the chapter I was shocked at what I found, even though I had read it many times before! Right in verse 1, faith is defined as ". . .evidence of things not seen." I thought, "If it is something you can't see, then it has to deal with the realm of the imagination." People would say we were believing something that is just imaginary if it couldn't be seen. In fact the dictionary says imagine means: to form a mental image of (something not present). What could more closely describe the Bible definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1!

 By this time I was excited, but the chapter was just beginning. Time and again, I saw that people in this chapter had used their imagination; that they had "seen" what was not visible to others. I began to realize that faith is linked with imagination like wet is linked with water. The two are inseparable. Then I began to understand why the devil had stirred up such a fuss over this subject. No doubt one main reason the devil inspired eastern religions to utilize the imagination was to muddy the waters and make Christians afraid it might be wrong.

 As I read of Abraham I thought of Genesis 15:5 where God told him to "count the stars. . . So shall your descendants be." If God wasn't telling Abraham to use his imagination, I don't know what He was telling Him to do! 
So be Biblical without fear. Take what God has said in His Word, and imagine it that way in your life!

 2 CORINTHIANS 10:5 KJV 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; We must cast down imaginations that do not agree with God's Word, and keep and nurture the ones that do.

 SAY THIS: Imagination is part of faith, so I will imagine in agreement with God's Word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne...

... that saved a wretch like me.

my story is not much different from any other alcoholic or drug addict who is in recovery. we sought out a higher power because our Lives be came on manageable. through much self examination we came to understand our defects in character... we reached out to others for fellowship and mentoring. I, as many have, came to believe in Jesus as my higher power and five years ago I accepted Christ... I got into a church and started reading my Bible. I slowly developed a thirst for knowledge of God in His Word. my grandmother has been sending Christian books for years and I just shelved them, so I already had a decent size Christian library. I also be came a big watcher of Christian television. I tried out several different churches... looking for a place I could feel at home in. having had a big interest in philosophy and world religions in college, I had sampled from the religion buffet. I guess you could say I became ravenous with my new found faith. I read and listen to anything I could ge...

Jesus’ Blood Is On The Mercy Seat

Leviticus 16:14 14He shall take some of the blood of the bull and sprinkle it with his finger on the mercy seat on the east side; and before the mercy seat he shall sprinkle some of the blood with his finger seven times. If you have watched the movie, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, you would remember that when the lid of the ark was lifted, strange-looking creatures floated out and destroyed the people around it. Interesting as it may be, this is biblically inaccurate — the ark of the Bible did not contain strange-looking creatures. What were the things inside it then? There were three items in the ark: the golden pot of manna, Aaron’s rod and two stone tablets on which God had written the Ten Commandments. (Hebrews 9:4) These items are actually symbols of man’s rebellion. The golden pot of manna represents man’s rejection of God’s provision. The rod of Aaron represents man’s rejection of God’s leadership and the two stone tablets of God’s commandments represent man’s...