Skip to main content

"Worthy is the Lamb"


Revelation 5:1-14 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?" But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 

Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals." Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders.


 The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God's people. And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation. You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth." 

Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they were saying: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!" 





Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, forever and ever!" The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped. 

 Rich in symbolic language, the apostle John seeks to communicate what God has allowed him to see in a sneak peak of Heaven......God pulls back the curtain and allows John in on a beautiful picture of eternity. While we won't seek in an e-devo to unpack the whole picture here, I want to note one very important aspect of this scripture that aligns with our journey this week on worship: Note that there is a deep and abiding humility and exhilarant praise in the corridor of heavens for Jesus Christ (referred to here as the Lamb, Lion of Judah, Root of David). He is the central figure.

He is the only one worthy to take the scroll from the right hand of God. All in heaven sing His praises and fall before Him. The attention of the angels, elders, and every living creature in heaven centers on Him. Note that the emphasis is not on the style of the music or who the worship leader might be or what songs they sing. There is no focus on what church or denomination is represented. There is no mention of special persons who deserve to be at this celebration. It is clear that if it were not for the lamb......no one is worthy! The entire celebration of Heaven is centered on the central figure of God's saving and redemptive grace........Jesus Christ. He receives all the praise, honor, and glory!

 Quite honestly, I think worship styles, preferences for music, worship leaders, preachers, and "what church do you attend?" are all overrated! We sometimes overplay ourselves and underplay Jesus Christ in our worship. Worship is not about me or you! Worship is about Jesus Christ! He is the hero.....He is your only means of salvation, eternity, forgiveness of sins, and new life! We enter weekend worship and a lifestyle of worship out of a deep and abiding humility before this sovereign Lord and we praise Him out of the deepest places of our soul because if it were not for Him, we would have no hope or future! You can do traditional, contemporary, or convergent but if Jesus is not at the center, it's just drums and organs and guitars. You can be a part of a very small church, mega church, Baptist church, United Methodist church or a non-denominational church, but if Jesus is not at the center, you are simply a part of an institution that will one day become a museum or community center.

 From the beginning of creation until the final scroll is unrolled in heaven, Jesus is all that matters!

 Prayer

 Heavenly Father, may my heart and life always be centered on Jesus. To Him be the honor, glory, and praise! Amen. 

 Jerry Sweat Jerry Sweat is Lead Pastor at Beach Church in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. Contact Jerry through his assistant Marion at marion.shotwell@beachchurchjax.com

 Beach Church: www.beachchurchjax.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Now Believe God Loves Me

 1 JOHN 4:16  So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.  Although I have endeavored to walk with the Lord for awhile, only in recent times have I started to really believe God loves me. My problem was that I kept focusing on myself, instead of God. I saw myself in my immaturity with all my faults and failures. I was not looking at Jesus the perfect sacrifice, but focused on myself and my shortcomings.  Even though I spread messages on the love of God, I never had confidence that God truly loved me just as I was. Instead I thought more in terms of God tolerating me, but not being too happy with me. I was trying my best to do what I thought God wanted, not really realizing that I could never earn God's love.  Now I am realizing that God's love is not dependent on me, but is entirely dependent on God alone. He does not love me because I am lovable, but because by na

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne

Building Trust When Faith Wavers

  Mark 9:21-24 21 And He asked his father, How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, From childhood. 22 It has often thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!" 23 And Jesus said to him, `If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes." 24 Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, I do believe; help my unbelief." Since faith is the core of our Christian experience, the consequences of wavering faith are far-reaching. Vacillating trust can lead us to make wrong decisions. Sometimes, after praying for direction, we might receive an answer that leads us to think, I can’t do that. So, instead of asking God to strengthen our faith, we make excuses. We may choose to postpone our obedience—even indefinitely—in order