Skip to main content

join the community of Faith





Acts 2:42-47 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

 On the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit of God blew into the hearts and lives of common, ordinary followers of Jesus and the church was born. On that first day, Peter stood up and preached a very basic message pointing people to Jesus. He called them to repent and be baptized. On that day, about three thousand people came to faith! So what do you do with three thousand new believers? Here is what they did....the apostles would teach them in the temple courts and then the people would share meals together in their homes and build community together in smaller settings. As they would meet, they came to love one another and take care of one another as anyone had need.

 This "up close and personal" experience of Jesus in community life together led to extreme acts of generosity as people leveraged their stuff for the sake of others in the community. People were not alone in their walk of this new faith. They helped one another, prayed for one another, and were truly thankful for the way God had given them a new life in Christ and new relationships with one another. A true sense of Jesus' supernatural presence was experienced in their community life together. Others began to notice this incredible kind of community where people cared for and encouraged one another....where love and servanthood were the way of life. This uncommon kind of community in a broken and hurting world mesmerized those on the outside looking in. Many came to Christ through the powerful ways that outsiders experienced the teachings of Jesus and the genuine and compassionate community of believers. When followers of Christ truly live out community with one another; when passion for God's Word, humble service and concern for people gets lived out; when people experience the grace of Jesus Christ and encouragement and support in the walk of faith up close and personal....lives are changed!



 In a broken world where people are longing for relationships that matter, God has birthed a community where Jesus' love is to be the standard. In a world where people are bored out of their minds with the monotony of life, God offers an opportunity for you to be a part of the most important mission on the face of the planet; an opportunity for you to participate in something with eternal significance! In a world where the poor and broken are left out and marginalized, God offers a community of faith where everyone is invited to the table. In a world where selfishness abounds, God has designed a community of faith where greatness is determined by your willingness to serve others.

 In a time when many see themselves as nothing more than a number and a stat, God invites you and me into a fellowship of faith that values the significance of each human life in the eyes of the Creator. When the church truly lives in biblical community, people meet Jesus....find healing....grow spiritually, and find hope. If you are not in some way connected with a small group of believers in your church, you are missing out on one of God's richest blessings and opportunities for your faith journey. It is not God's plan for you to live out your faith in isolation. You need others and they need you!

 Prayer

 Heavenly Father, I want to experience the life of Jesus up close and personal. Help me to connect with the community of faith. I was never intended to make this journey alone. Amen.


Thanks Pastor Jerry Sweat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Now Believe God Loves Me

 1 JOHN 4:16  So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.  Although I have endeavored to walk with the Lord for awhile, only in recent times have I started to really believe God loves me. My problem was that I kept focusing on myself, instead of God. I saw myself in my immaturity with all my faults and failures. I was not looking at Jesus the perfect sacrifice, but focused on myself and my shortcomings.  Even though I spread messages on the love of God, I never had confidence that God truly loved me just as I was. Instead I thought more in terms of God tolerating me, but not being too happy with me. I was trying my best to do what I thought God wanted, not really realizing that I could never earn God's love.  Now I am realizing that God's love is not dependent on me, but is entirely dependent on God alone. He does not love me because I am lovable, but because by na

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne

Building Trust When Faith Wavers

  Mark 9:21-24 21 And He asked his father, How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, From childhood. 22 It has often thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!" 23 And Jesus said to him, `If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes." 24 Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, I do believe; help my unbelief." Since faith is the core of our Christian experience, the consequences of wavering faith are far-reaching. Vacillating trust can lead us to make wrong decisions. Sometimes, after praying for direction, we might receive an answer that leads us to think, I can’t do that. So, instead of asking God to strengthen our faith, we make excuses. We may choose to postpone our obedience—even indefinitely—in order