Skip to main content

... that saved a wretch like me.

my story is not much different from any other alcoholic or drug addict who is in recovery. we sought out a higher power because our Lives be came on manageable. through much self examination we came to understand our defects in character... we reached out to others for fellowship and mentoring. I, as many have, came to believe in Jesus as my higher power and five years ago I accepted Christ... I got into a church and started reading my Bible. I slowly developed a thirst for knowledge of God in His Word. my grandmother has been sending Christian books for years and I just shelved them, so I already had a decent size Christian library. I also be came a big watcher of Christian television. I tried out several different churches... looking for a place I could feel at home in. having had a big interest in philosophy and world religions in college, I had sampled from the religion buffet. I guess you could say I became ravenous with my new found faith. I read and listen to anything I could get my hands on. most of what I was reading was very mainstream... Yancey, Meyer, Hagee, Lucado, Warren, Franklin and so on. I settled on a non denominational church that had a really funny pastor and great music. I begin to hang around other Christians and would receive teaching from them. I was on fire for the Lord... and I really wasn't paying attention to what I was being taught and I took it for granted that I was being exposed to widely accepted sound doctrine. I just made sure to stay away from the obvious wackos and preachers who sermons are always about tithing.  
After almost nine months of sobriety I relapsed. Got sober...relapsed again. This pattern just repeated itself over and over.I was doing everything I could think of...prayer, meditation...begging for forgiveness from the Lord...I tried hanging out with just Christians, exercise, fasting...you name it. I would do okay...But deep down I still wanted to drink. What I thought was the biggest sin in my life...drinking...would not go away. All I felt was guilt and hopelessness. Alas I was SAVED..but not so much a new creature. I confessed, repented, and repeated. No results. Eventually I ended up near death in the ICU.

I was lucky and recovered with a pretty damaged liver but no lasting consequences (they thought I had Hepatitis). As I was recovering I read a book called "Jesus plus nothing equals everything" By Tullian Tchividjian, my grandparent's pastor (as well as Billy Graham,s grandson). This book was on Grace. it explained clearly who Jesus was, what he did for us and explained how we are approved and redeemed by Christ no matter what we are going through sin -wise. I don't want to explain the book but I definitely recommend it. IT CHANGED MY LIFE !!!!!  Here is a good review of the book by Kevin J. Thompson.
The premise of the book is that the Christian does not find security in his performance or perceived performance by others, but the Christian is to rest in the finished work of Christ on our behalf. Our life of obedience and good works is not founded on the notion that such things must be done to gain God’s favor and acceptance rather such things flow from a heart of gratitude because we already are favored and accepted by God. In other words, works are the result of God’s favor, not the basis of it. http://kevinjthompson.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/book-review-jesus-plus-nothing-equals-everything-by-tullian-tchividjian/

I also read a book called "Destined to Reign" by Joseph Prince. http://www.josephprinceonline.com/portfolio/destined-to-reign-book/
This is truly the best book on grace by far in my opinion.
I also started to listen to JP's sermons. I checked the BIBLE to make sure all lined up with it. It did! I dove deeper..reading everything I could get my hands on. I experienced a GRACE REVELATION that just blew me away. You would think I'd be happy but I was so mad at the wrong teaching I had received for the last 5 years!
I applied what I learned and repented from the former teaching...my life has changed...i am sober almost 6 months WITH ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE TO DRINK WHATSOEVER.
To God be the glory...but thanks to those who are re-pioneering the message of the original church. Thanks to the true MESSAGE OF THE TRUE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST!

Comments

  1. Wow, what a wonderful testimony!

    I love how just the pure message of grace, grace, marvelous grace in the finished work of Christ has taken away all your desires to drink! It really shows how the aching holes inside us are truly filled and satisfied with God and His love, and we just don't want or desire to fill them with any other, lesser thing!

    I love the Josoph Prince book, too, and am always uplifted listening to his messages..the good news of grace truly does uplift us and make us happy, doesn't it!

    Thank you for sharing!

    By the way, I love the name of your blog!

    In Christ,
    Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I think the key is just to enter God's rest to know that youre a work in progress. for so long I was under condemnation... I wanted to please God so bad... but the addiction was so deeply rooted... I was asking for forgiveness 100 times everyday... I felt like such a loser... I love Jesus but I just felt evil... I almost gave up on Christianity all together... because I felt like I could never measure up. then grace came in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much Sparrow... you are the first to reply to my blog... and I don't even know you... may God bless and keep you... and pour out His grace upon you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Now Believe God Loves Me

 1 JOHN 4:16  So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.  Although I have endeavored to walk with the Lord for awhile, only in recent times have I started to really believe God loves me. My problem was that I kept focusing on myself, instead of God. I saw myself in my immaturity with all my faults and failures. I was not looking at Jesus the perfect sacrifice, but focused on myself and my shortcomings.  Even though I spread messages on the love of God, I never had confidence that God truly loved me just as I was. Instead I thought more in terms of God tolerating me, but not being too happy with me. I was trying my best to do what I thought God wanted, not really realizing that I could never earn God's love.  Now I am realizing that God's love is not dependent on me, but is entirely dependent on God alone. He does not love me because I am lovable, but because by na

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne

Building Trust When Faith Wavers

  Mark 9:21-24 21 And He asked his father, How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, From childhood. 22 It has often thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!" 23 And Jesus said to him, `If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes." 24 Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, I do believe; help my unbelief." Since faith is the core of our Christian experience, the consequences of wavering faith are far-reaching. Vacillating trust can lead us to make wrong decisions. Sometimes, after praying for direction, we might receive an answer that leads us to think, I can’t do that. So, instead of asking God to strengthen our faith, we make excuses. We may choose to postpone our obedience—even indefinitely—in order