Skip to main content

Examine your need for God



Examine your need for God

 


"The unexamined life is not worth living." Socrates said that at his trial for heresy. He was on trial for encouraging his students to challenge the accepted beliefs of the time and think for themselves.
We have all had our reasons for delaying our coming to God. For the longest time I had no need for God. My life was going good. I had a good job, good relationships, and not too many worries. I did things my way, and for awhile that worked fine. And my life looked good in comparison with some. After all I liked to party a little but was no thief or murderer. I was a good person who sometimes got a little out of control. Based on my circle of friends I was actually “the good one” of the bunch. Then as life progressed and because of the path I chose, it began to fall apart. The pain of my life grew unbearable. I submitted to Christ as a last resort.
“The human spirit will not even begin to try to surrender self-will as long as all seems to be well with it. Now error and sin both have this property, that the deeper they are the less their victim suspects their existence; they are masked evil. Pain is unmasked, unmistakable evil; every man knows that something is wrong when he is being hurt.” 
Through my conversion I began to finally be capable of self-examination. I was able to see in my life the things I can control and the things I could not. I had a deep empty hole to fill and God needed to fill it. I had to change my thinking about my place in my life and my posture towards God. I surrendered my life over to His care. Then things began to change for the better.  I will say, I took back control several times, only to end up in the same pits of crud I used to wallow in. My progress is slow but sure now, and by Grace given sobriety I hit less bumps in the road.

Lamentations 3:40
Let us search out and examine our ways, And turn back to the LORD;

Then things began to change for the better.
Not everyone needs to hit bottom or become addicted to find God. We all have that “God shaped hole” in each of us and it can be filled with anything we worship. It undermines God’s work in us and we stagnate spiritually.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.





MANY REASONS TO DELAY

1.      I want to be more like Christ but I don’t want to change my behavior…and unless I do God won’t accept me.


Nehemiah 1:9  but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for My Name.
2.     
 I need to “clean up my life first” then I will start going to church, etc
.

Isaiah 40:29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

3.     
 I am a good person. I don’t sin much. Besides, life is great.


Romans 3:23  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God


4.      God doesn’t have the patience to work with me.


2 Peter 3:9  "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is long- suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

5. What’s the hurry anyway?  
Throughout the bible are examples of people who put off getting right with God, and they died in their sins because of it. In Noah's day, the people had a carefree attitude. They laughed when Noah warned them of God's coming wrath. They thought Noah was a fool to build the ark when there wasn't a cloud in the sky. But the Bible tells us "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2b). You can't put it off because you don't know when Christ will return for you. Christ himself warned the people to be on the lookout for His return. Matthew 24:42-44 reads, Watch therefore; for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the good man of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh."


I pray you examine your heart...I pray you find the Lord

Psalm 39: 12-13 Hear my prayer, Lord,
    listen to my cry for help;
    do not be deaf to my weeping.
I dwell with you as a foreigner,
    a stranger, as all my ancestors were.
13 Look away from me, that I may enjoy life again
    before I depart and am no more.”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Now Believe God Loves Me

 1 JOHN 4:16  So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.  Although I have endeavored to walk with the Lord for awhile, only in recent times have I started to really believe God loves me. My problem was that I kept focusing on myself, instead of God. I saw myself in my immaturity with all my faults and failures. I was not looking at Jesus the perfect sacrifice, but focused on myself and my shortcomings.  Even though I spread messages on the love of God, I never had confidence that God truly loved me just as I was. Instead I thought more in terms of God tolerating me, but not being too happy with me. I was trying my best to do what I thought God wanted, not really realizing that I could never earn God's love.  Now I am realizing that God's love is not dependent on me, but is entirely dependent on God alone. He does not love me because I am lovable, but because by na

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne

Building Trust When Faith Wavers

  Mark 9:21-24 21 And He asked his father, How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, From childhood. 22 It has often thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!" 23 And Jesus said to him, `If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes." 24 Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, I do believe; help my unbelief." Since faith is the core of our Christian experience, the consequences of wavering faith are far-reaching. Vacillating trust can lead us to make wrong decisions. Sometimes, after praying for direction, we might receive an answer that leads us to think, I can’t do that. So, instead of asking God to strengthen our faith, we make excuses. We may choose to postpone our obedience—even indefinitely—in order