Skip to main content

"The Father's Provision"



Luke 15:25-28 "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.' "The older brother became angry and refused to go in.

All is not well in the family. Meet the second son of the Prodigal Son story. This is the son who stayed home. This is the son who did not humiliate his father or create a public scene by asking for his share of the inheritance. This is the son who has consistently worked in the fields and has sought to do good. He is obviously not pleased that his brother is home or that his dad would throw a party for this loser. Why the anger? Because this son has come to believe that parties are only to be thrown for those who by their own efforts have been faithful. He truly misses the reason for the party. The party is not about what we have done or not done. The party is all about the Father's provision.

Maybe you have never done anything outlandish to rebel against the heart of your Heavenly Father. Maybe you have been raised in the church and feel that you have always sought to be faithful. Maybe your problem is not that you struck out on your own to prove that you could be independent from your father. Maybe you don't have any major failures or train wrecks in your life.

 But something just as sinister is at work in your heart! Somehow you have begun to believe that you have earned your place in the family of God. It sometimes comes with being the good brother. You begin to compare yourself with your runaway brother and you come out looking pretty good. A place at the table of the heavenly Father has to do more with your faithfulness, commitment, and hard work instead of the Father's provision.

So when anyone who has strayed comes anywhere near the church, you see them through the grid of your own making. If they have strayed off the faith path or have turned away from God, they are not a part of the family. They are a threat....they are an outsider. It makes you angry that your heavenly Father would still have anything to do with them.

The drift of the older brother is even more tragic than the prodigal son. The prodigal son could see his need for God. The older brother could not see his need for grace, because he felt he had earned his place in the family. He didn't leave. He had worked hard. This is dangerous! If you believe that a place at God's table has to do with your efforts or faithfulness instead of the provision of your heavenly Father, you are just as much a "runaway" as the runaway!

 Do you see your need for God's grace or are you trusting in your own goodness? The Bible says that even your most righteous acts are like filthy rags when compared to the righteousness of the heavenly Father. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. It is only by the provision of your heavenly Father that you have a place in the family! You can choose to sit in the field of your own labors or you can come in and join the party of grace. One leads to eternal death; the other to eternal life.


Lord, I cannot earn my way into your favor.  My goodness is a pitiful token when compared with the beauty of a perfect and holy God.  My only hope is through what Jesus did on the cross for me.  I am saved not by works but through Your grace.  Amen.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Now Believe God Loves Me

 1 JOHN 4:16  So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.  Although I have endeavored to walk with the Lord for awhile, only in recent times have I started to really believe God loves me. My problem was that I kept focusing on myself, instead of God. I saw myself in my immaturity with all my faults and failures. I was not looking at Jesus the perfect sacrifice, but focused on myself and my shortcomings.  Even though I spread messages on the love of God, I never had confidence that God truly loved me just as I was. Instead I thought more in terms of God tolerating me, but not being too happy with me. I was trying my best to do what I thought God wanted, not really realizing that I could never earn God's love.  Now I am realizing that God's love is not dependent on me, but is entirely dependent on God alone. He does not love me because I am lovable, but because by na

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne

Building Trust When Faith Wavers

  Mark 9:21-24 21 And He asked his father, How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, From childhood. 22 It has often thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!" 23 And Jesus said to him, `If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes." 24 Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, I do believe; help my unbelief." Since faith is the core of our Christian experience, the consequences of wavering faith are far-reaching. Vacillating trust can lead us to make wrong decisions. Sometimes, after praying for direction, we might receive an answer that leads us to think, I can’t do that. So, instead of asking God to strengthen our faith, we make excuses. We may choose to postpone our obedience—even indefinitely—in order