Skip to main content

Reaching the World-In Your Backyard



Mark 5:18-20 As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him. 19 Jesus did not let him, but said, "Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you." 20 So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed.

He has been out of control and broken for so long, his community and home now seem less appealing than the opportunity to go on the road with Jesus. The once demon-possessed man now wants to leave everything and follow Jesus. Isn't that the point? Jesus would continue to teach and heal. The once demon-possessed man could come up and tell his story of darkness and how Jesus healed him. Grown men would cry; others would come to know that whatever they were facing was not a hopeless situation as long as Jesus was around. It would be the perfect ministry!

Only one problem....Jesus refuses to allow the man to go with him! It is almost as if Jesus believes that this man's most significant life move and his greatest witness to the power of God is right in his own back yard! There will always be courageous men and women who sell everything and move to far- away lands to share the love of Christ. Jesus himself commissioned His followers to go and make disciples in all nations. But I sometimes wonder if we have become so enamored with this romantic and noble notion of "missionary" as one who takes the name of Jesus to far- away places that we have forgotten that for most of us.....our most significant opportunity to be a missionary lies right within our own back yard.

Sometimes I have found it much easier to share Christ with a stranger from Uganda than some of my own family members here! Sometimes it seems I am totally focused on my role as a servant when I help build an orphanage in Panama but am oblivious to the opportunity I have to serve the elderly woman that lives across the street! What if you and I woke up this morning and decided to take a mission trip right where we live? What if we prayed for God to open our eyes to places where you live, eat, work, and play every day.....open our eyes to see the hurt, the lost, and the broken?

 The truth is that the majority of us will never sell all and move off to some foreign field of mission but our sovereign God has saved us by His grace and has strategically placed us as mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, work associates, neighbors, friends, acquaintances right in the middle of the most important mission field of all....our own back yard...our own home....our own neighborhoods, schools, and places of business!

Jerry Sweat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne...

... that saved a wretch like me.

my story is not much different from any other alcoholic or drug addict who is in recovery. we sought out a higher power because our Lives be came on manageable. through much self examination we came to understand our defects in character... we reached out to others for fellowship and mentoring. I, as many have, came to believe in Jesus as my higher power and five years ago I accepted Christ... I got into a church and started reading my Bible. I slowly developed a thirst for knowledge of God in His Word. my grandmother has been sending Christian books for years and I just shelved them, so I already had a decent size Christian library. I also be came a big watcher of Christian television. I tried out several different churches... looking for a place I could feel at home in. having had a big interest in philosophy and world religions in college, I had sampled from the religion buffet. I guess you could say I became ravenous with my new found faith. I read and listen to anything I could ge...

Jesus’ Blood Is On The Mercy Seat

Leviticus 16:14 14He shall take some of the blood of the bull and sprinkle it with his finger on the mercy seat on the east side; and before the mercy seat he shall sprinkle some of the blood with his finger seven times. If you have watched the movie, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, you would remember that when the lid of the ark was lifted, strange-looking creatures floated out and destroyed the people around it. Interesting as it may be, this is biblically inaccurate — the ark of the Bible did not contain strange-looking creatures. What were the things inside it then? There were three items in the ark: the golden pot of manna, Aaron’s rod and two stone tablets on which God had written the Ten Commandments. (Hebrews 9:4) These items are actually symbols of man’s rebellion. The golden pot of manna represents man’s rejection of God’s provision. The rod of Aaron represents man’s rejection of God’s leadership and the two stone tablets of God’s commandments represent man’s...