Skip to main content

Accept People As They Are


ROMANS 15:7 NIV

 7 Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. We have only two choices, accept people, or reject them. When you realize this, it may change the way you treat people. When we criticize or condemn people, we communicate rejection. When we try to change people, it communicates that they are not good enough for us, that we don't like them. "But what if they are not perfect? What if they don't believe everything I believe?" Were you born believing all you do now? Or did you go through a process of learning over time? Should we throw out people because they still have something to learn? What happens when you don't accept people as they are? It feeds the lie that they are no good and have no value. We can accept people and celebrate their value without approving of their sins. But when we refuse to accept people until they are perfect, we communicate rejection.

 When someone feels rejected, they tend to reject those who reject them, and what they represent. So when Christians communicate rejection to sinners, they assume God is rejecting them, and tend to reject God because they think He rejects them. Whenever you reject someone, you have set yourself up as their judge, something only God is truly qualified to do. To walk with Jesus you will have to treat people as Jesus would treat them. You may not like the way they look, talk, act, think, or smell, but if they are a human being you must acknowledge that Jesus Christ loves them enough to die for them. Jesus is our perfect example, and He is not rejecting people (John 6:37). Instead, the Bible reveals that Jesus Christ is our Advocate, (our defense lawyer), not the one who condemns (1 John 2:1, Romans 8:34).

 People are hurting. Usually they know they need to change, to be better, and to do better. What they have not discovered is a way they can change. They have probably tried, but given up in defeat. Only God's unconditional love can give them the strength they need to have hope. Most people realize that if they must earn God's help there is no hope for them. This is the main reason why so many people shun Christianity and want to have nothing to do with God. They have accepted a wrong image of God, thinking He is a stern Judge who is against them, instead of realizing the truth that He is a loving Father like the father in the story of the Prodigal Son that Jesus told us about in Luke 15:11-32. God accepts people as they are. So should we. Christ died for the ungodly (Romans 5:6).

 God so loved the world that He gave. People crave love. Unconditional love will draw people. It is God's goodness that leads people to repent (Romans 2:4). Every time we meet someone, we are faced with a choice: love them -- or judge them, accept them as they are -- or attempt to change them, make them feel respected -- or despised, make them feel valuable and precious -- or make them feel worthless. You might as well accept people as they are instead of trying to change them. You can't change people anyway. Only God can really change people. Our job is to love them and help them. Also remember that God made people to be different. So don't expect everyone will be exactly like you. SAY THIS: I will accept people and love them with God's love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Now Believe God Loves Me

 1 JOHN 4:16  So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.  Although I have endeavored to walk with the Lord for awhile, only in recent times have I started to really believe God loves me. My problem was that I kept focusing on myself, instead of God. I saw myself in my immaturity with all my faults and failures. I was not looking at Jesus the perfect sacrifice, but focused on myself and my shortcomings.  Even though I spread messages on the love of God, I never had confidence that God truly loved me just as I was. Instead I thought more in terms of God tolerating me, but not being too happy with me. I was trying my best to do what I thought God wanted, not really realizing that I could never earn God's love.  Now I am realizing that God's love is not dependent on me, but is entirely dependent on God alone. He does not love me because I am lovable, but because by na

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne

Building Trust When Faith Wavers

  Mark 9:21-24 21 And He asked his father, How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, From childhood. 22 It has often thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!" 23 And Jesus said to him, `If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes." 24 Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, I do believe; help my unbelief." Since faith is the core of our Christian experience, the consequences of wavering faith are far-reaching. Vacillating trust can lead us to make wrong decisions. Sometimes, after praying for direction, we might receive an answer that leads us to think, I can’t do that. So, instead of asking God to strengthen our faith, we make excuses. We may choose to postpone our obedience—even indefinitely—in order