Skip to main content

Do you have a grudge?

Scripture Genesis 50:15-22 When Joseph's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, "What if Joseph holds a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrongs we did to him?" So they sent word to Joseph, saying, "Your father left these instructions before he died: 'This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.' Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father."

 When their message came to him, Joseph wept. His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. "We are your slaves," they said. But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. What do you do when you have been sold into slavery by your own flesh and blood, falsely accused and jailed for a crime you did not commit, and left to rot in prison by the very guy you helped set free?

 Most grow bitter or plot revenge. Joseph amazingly never allows the poison of resentment to cloud his judgment or lead him to a place of bitterness. Joseph does not allow anger to soil his heart. In the end, Joseph sees that everything that has been intended for evil by others, God has used for good. All of the ups and downs of his crazy life....God has used for "the saving of lives". Thus, Joseph is free to offer forgiveness and compassion.


 Have you been betrayed by someone you trusted? Have you been falsely accused by someone or have you been the victim of someone's idle gossip and now your reputation has been adversely affected? Have you been forgotten by someone who should have been there for you? The temptation in these moments will be to get even or allow bitterness and resentment to corrode your heart. Take inventory of what is going on inside of you today. If there is anyone for whom you are carrying anger and resentment, remember that God is your provision! In His bigger plan, He will take each and every "work of harm" and turn it around for good. Trust Him for that! Joseph's faith in God allows him to see the smallness of his brothers' jealousy and hatred in light of the greatness of God's bigger story!

 God, one of the most cancerous agents in my life will be resentment and bitterness toward those who have wronged me. Save me from me! Remind me over and over again that You had every reason to hold my sin against me and yet Your Son went to the cross for my sins! One of the greatest responses of obedience in my life will be to claim the provision of Your cross over every grievance or hurt in my life. Amen.

Thanks to Pastor Jerry Sweat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

welcome to my blog

Oh the waterfall of cleansing Grace! Welcome to my Grace blog.  I hope to both share and start a dialogue about Jesus Christ and how his life, relationships and teaching have a practical working value in our everyday lives. To go beyond our belief of Jesus... and into our belief in Jesus. I hope we can learn more about how the finished work of Christ on the cross empowers his work in us in our daily lives. I hope we can grow in His Grace and Wisdom! The name came from a Joseph Prince story in his book  "Destined to Reign"...here's the story: Prince tells the story of a young boy who found a rock out in the woods. Though it looked rough at first, he rinsed it in the small waterfall of a nearby stream. Turns out, the rock was marbly, smooth, and full of color. Not wanting to lose the rock, and afraid someone would take it from him if he took it home, he buried it back in the dirt in a tucked away place before he went home for the night. There, he left it. The ne...

... that saved a wretch like me.

my story is not much different from any other alcoholic or drug addict who is in recovery. we sought out a higher power because our Lives be came on manageable. through much self examination we came to understand our defects in character... we reached out to others for fellowship and mentoring. I, as many have, came to believe in Jesus as my higher power and five years ago I accepted Christ... I got into a church and started reading my Bible. I slowly developed a thirst for knowledge of God in His Word. my grandmother has been sending Christian books for years and I just shelved them, so I already had a decent size Christian library. I also be came a big watcher of Christian television. I tried out several different churches... looking for a place I could feel at home in. having had a big interest in philosophy and world religions in college, I had sampled from the religion buffet. I guess you could say I became ravenous with my new found faith. I read and listen to anything I could ge...

Jesus’ Blood Is On The Mercy Seat

Leviticus 16:14 14He shall take some of the blood of the bull and sprinkle it with his finger on the mercy seat on the east side; and before the mercy seat he shall sprinkle some of the blood with his finger seven times. If you have watched the movie, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, you would remember that when the lid of the ark was lifted, strange-looking creatures floated out and destroyed the people around it. Interesting as it may be, this is biblically inaccurate — the ark of the Bible did not contain strange-looking creatures. What were the things inside it then? There were three items in the ark: the golden pot of manna, Aaron’s rod and two stone tablets on which God had written the Ten Commandments. (Hebrews 9:4) These items are actually symbols of man’s rebellion. The golden pot of manna represents man’s rejection of God’s provision. The rod of Aaron represents man’s rejection of God’s leadership and the two stone tablets of God’s commandments represent man’s...